2013 Conference Program
To download to complete program, click here.
9:00 AM WELCOME OPENING ADDRESS
- Cathy Darling Allen, Shasta County Registrar of Voters
- Catherine Hazelton, The James Irvine Foundation
9:30 AM ELECTION PARTNERSHIPS: PROMOTING PARTICIPATION & IMPROVING ELECTION ADMINISTRATION
In its first year of collaboration, Future of California Elections (FoCE) members worked together with state leaders to achieve key policy changes, strengthen the National Voter Registration Act, implement online voter registration and increase the user-friendliness of the official voter guide. This panel will discuss how partnerships among policymakers, administrators, and advocates are a model for how we can continue to improve our election administration.
- Jennie Bretschneider, Office of California Secretary of State
- Michelle Romero, The Greenlining Institute
- Darren Chesin, Senate Committee on Elections & Constitutional Amendments
- Dean Logan, Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk
- Heather Smith, Rock the Vote
- Moderator: Kathay Feng, California Common Cause
ELECTION REFORMS: WHAT SHOULD WE PRIORITIZE FOR 2013 AND BEYOND?
California has an opportunity to champion election reforms that will increase voter participation and access, promote election security and accountability, and improve the way our elections are run. This panel will discuss potential priorities for electoral reform.
- Kim Alexander, California Voter Foundation
- Hillary Sklar, Disability Rights California
- Gail Pellerin, Santa Cruz County Registrar of Voters
- Lori Shellenberger, American Civil Liberties Union
- Arturo Vargas, National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials Educational Fund
- Moderator: Trudy Schafer, League of Women Voters of California
12:00 PM LUNCH PROGRAM
THE BIG ONE: ARE CALIFORNIA’S ELECTIONS READY FOR THE NEXT MAJOR DISASTER?
Superstorm Sandy hit the East Coast a week before the Presidential elections. California has our own share of potential disasters that could destabilize our elections, whether it’s earthquakes or electricity brown-outs. This panel will discuss how to build voting systems and strengthen election procedures so that California is better prepared for disaster scenarios.
- Nancy L. Ward, Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Pam Smith, Verified Voting
- Jill LaVine, Sacramento County Registrar of Voters
- Evan Goldberg, Office of California Secretary of State
- Moderator: Doug Chapin, Future of California Elections
TOPIC A. NEXT GENERATION VOTERS: DO WE NEED BETTER CIVIC EDUCATION, TECH TOOLS, AND VOTING METHODS TO ENGAGE NEW VOTERS?
- Laura Deehan, CALPIRG
- Astrid Garcia, National Association of Latino Election and Appointed Officials Education Fund
- Steven Ochoa, Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund
TOPIC B. VOTING SYSTEMS INNOVATION: HOW DO WE CREATE MORE USER-FRIENDLY, ACCESSIBLE AND SECURE SYSTEMS FOR CASTING AND COUNTING BALLOTS?
- Efrain Escobedo, Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk
- Susan Lapsley, Office of California Secretary of State
- Eugene Lee, Asian Pacific American Legal Center
SETTING THE AGENDA FOR 2013
In small group settings, this session will offer participants an opportunity to provide feedback on potential reform opportunities. What should policymakers, administrators and advocates prioritize in 2013?
FUTURE OF CALIFORNIA ELECTIONS POLICY FORUM
- Brian Jones, State Assembly
- Alex Padilla, State Senate
- Shawnda Westly, California Democratic Party Leland Yee, State Senate
- Moderator: John Myers, ABC News10