May 14, 2020
This conference convened soon after California Governor Newsom’s announcement that every California voter would receive a ballot by mail for the November 2020 General Election. To view the entire conference, click here. For conference highlights only, click here.
Welcome by Rosalind Gold, Chief Public Policy Officer, National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials (NALEO) Educational Fund, FoCE Advisory Board Chair
Opening Remarks by The Honorable Alex Padilla, California Secretary of State
Panel One: Is California prepared for November 2020? Introduction by Cathy Darling Allen, County Clerk and Registrar of Voters, Shasta County, FoCE Advisory Board Member
- Moderator: Jessica Huseman, Reporter, ProPublica
- Neal Kelley, Registrar of Voters, Orange County, California
- Fred Nisen, Supervising Attorney for Voting Rights, Disability Rights California
- James Schwab, Chief Deputy Secretary of State, California Secretary of State Alex Padilla
Panel Two: What do we consider when expanding voting by mail in a state as diverse as California? Introduction by Paul R. Spencer, Staff Attorney for Voting Rights, Disability Rights California, FoCE Advisory Board Member
- Moderator: Kim Alexander, President and Founder, California Voter Foundation
- Courtney Bailey-Kanelos, Registrar of Voters, Sacramento County
- Mindy S. Romero, Director, USC California Civic Engagement Project
- James Woodson, Senior Policy Manager, California Calls
Panel Three: How do we ensure language access in elections through a COVID-19 response? Introduction by Katy Flaherty, Project Coordinator, Future of California Elections.
- Moderator: Jonathan Mehta Stein, Executive Director, California Common Cause
- Rosalind Gold, Chief Public Policy Officer, National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials (NALEO) Educational Fund
- Julia Marks, Staff Attorney, Voting Rights and Census, Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Asian Law Caucus
- Eren Mendez, Elections Outreach Coordinator, Contra Costa County
Closing Remarks by Ben Hovland, Election Assistance Commission, Chair. Introduction by Guadalupe Flores, Deputy Director, Communications and Outreach, Future of California Elections.
Final Reflections by Astrid Ochoa, Executive Director, Future of California Elections.