Some of the resources available here are specific to Los Angeles County, which implemented the Voter’s Choice Act in steps that differed slightly from other VCA counties. By the time of the 2020 General Election, the county had incorporated all the elements of the Act, which allowed for the voter education materials developed for VCA in general to be utilized for Los Angeles county voters. The diversity and density of the county’s population poses challenges in messaging, outreach and education unique to California and the nation. The materials available here reflect the efforts to reach as wide an audience of voters (and potential voters) who respond in a wide variety of ways to those messages and outreach.
Click here to view the Los Angeles County Election Administration Plan available in English, Armenian, Chinese, Farsi, Hindi, Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai and Vietnamese. The EAP outlines LA County’s plans for Election 2020 and future elections. It includes several important components including the locations of potential vote centers, where voters will vote in-person in 2020; the voter education and outreach plan, including a list of radio stations and news outlets; and LA County’s strategy for administering elections under the California Voter’s Choice Act.
The EAP Public Comment Worksheet and Comprehensive Review Checklist were produced by Voter’s Choice California to help you review the Election Administration Plan.
Voter education materials produced by Future of California Elections for the November 2020 General Election:
- Voting Options in California
- Graphics for use in voter education materials
- Useful links for voters in Los Angeles County
- Webinar: Getting the Message Out: Voting in Los Angeles for the 2020 Presidential Election, Oct. 8, 2020
- Webinar: Voting in LA County’s Nov. General Election: Preparing the Public, in partnership with the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk, May 21, 2020 | highlights
- Speakers: Jennie Carreón, Associate Vice President of Civic Engagement, AltaMed Health Services (slides); Katy Flaherty, Project Coordinator, Future of California Elections; Guadalupe Flores, Deputy Director Communications and Outreach, Future of California Elections; Wilma Franco, Ed.D., Executive Director, SELA Collaborative (slides); Dean Logan, Registrar, Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk (slides); Astrid Ochoa, Executive Director, Future of California Elections; Mindy Romero, Ph.D., Founder & Director CCEP, USC Sol Price School (slides); Kirk Samuels, Director of Civic Engagement, Community Coalition (slides).
- Featured Presentation by Dean Logan, Registrar, Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk
- New Survey Results: How do Californians Want to Cast their Ballots During the COVID-19 Crisis?
- How does COVID-19 change voter engagement?
- Network Discussion
Official voter education materials from the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk for the November 2020 General Election:
- Returning your VBM ballot
- Vote by Mail Drop Box
- How to Use and Return an Accessible Vote by Mail Ballot
- How to vote on the new ballot marking device
Voter education materials produced by Voter’s Choice Los Angeles for the March 2020 Primary:
- LA County FAQ English
- LA County FAQ Spanish/Preguntas frecuentes sobre las Elecciones Presidenciales Primarias del Condado de L.A.
- Vote Plan Guide
- Social Media Toolkit
- New Voting Experience Fact Sheet
- PowerPoint explaining the new voter experience
- Event: Planning Meeting: Voter Outreach Under LA County’s New Voting Experience, Dec. 11, 2019
- Speakers: Robert Abelon, Office of the California Secretary of State; Shikha Bhatnagar, South Asian Network; Dorian Caal, NALEO Educational Fund (slides); Elisa Chang, CALPIRG Students; Karen Diaz, Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights-Los Angeles (slides); Katy Flaherty, Future of California Elections; Jeff Klein, Los Angeles County RR/CC (slides); Dean C. Logan, Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk; Brian Nguyen, California Calls; Astrid Ochoa, Future of California Elections; Paul Spencer, Disability Rights California; Gabe Taylor, Disability Rights California (slides); Mike Sanchez, Office of the Los Angeles County RR/CC.
- Event: Los Angeles County Elections 2020 Boot Camp: What you need to know about LA County’s New and Modern Voting Experience, June 6, 2019
- Opening Remarks: The Honorable Alex Padilla, California Secretary of State
- Presentation by Dean C. Logan, Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk
- Looking at the Data of the First Voter’s Choice Act Elections by Mindy Romero, Ph.D., California Civic Engagement Project | slides
- Panel One: “Lessons from the First Voter’s Choice Act Elections”
- Speakers: Kiyana Asemanfar, Policy Outreach Coordinator, California Common Cause; Diana Colin, Director of Civic Engagement, Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights; Paul R. Spencer, Staff Attorney, Disability Rights California (slides); Cha Vang, Executive Director, Hmong Innovating Politics | slides
- Closing Presentation by Aaron Nevarez, Division Manager, Governmental & Legislative Affairs at Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk | slides